My Favorites

Saturday, April 2, 2011

The Little Sumo

Meet Paddy, one of the several ceramic dolls. He's a 4 and 1/2 inch bundle of dynamite!


 I  originally thought he was made by my Aunt, only to flip him over and find initials JS above his cute tiny buns. He wouldn't let me photograph his backside, by the way, because he finds that most unbecoming for a potential...


                                                                   SUMO BABY!!!

Yes, that's right, cute little Paddy wants to grow up to be an American Sumo wrestler. The only thing I would find appealing about a future in Sumo, would be the unlimited cheeseburgers and fries you could consume. Paddy, however, finds it a dream worth pursuing. 

He discovered Sumo on the internet.

I couldn't get him off my computer, so I had to bargain with him. 
I said, "Paddy, ol sport, how would you like your very own Sumo?"
It was kind of like dangling a hot dog in the face of a dog you have to train.
Paddy took the bait, hook, line and sinker, (oh lucky me,) and we were then off to the lumberyard.

We picked up a very large board. You have to have a very large board to make an official Sumo, you know.

  







 Paddy inspected it.

"Shoo cat, or you'll wreak the wrath of the SUMO!" he squealed.


I gathered my paints and off to the races we went! Here is our progression:

Body in place, and now for more color!



Well looky who's showing his cute baby buns! He must be engrossed.
After this process, I cut out the body, the head, screwed them together and as soon as you can say PURESUTO (Presto),
Paddy had himself a giant Sumo to play with.

As you can see, he worked his  4 and 1/2 inch body up into the lion's head, and gave us his fiercest face! Oh, you can't see it? Let me move in for a close up....


Well, that's about as fierce as he gets....


 He did fill the void with his body in order to conquer his new savage beast.

Way to go Paddy!
And then he ran off to get on his Sumo gear, and that's pretty much where you came in.



Heaven only knows where I'm going to put a 5 x 5 foot Sumo, but at least one little 4 and 1/2 inch doll has had his dreams fulfilled. And in Granny's world of dolls, that's really all that matters, isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment